Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ashram Life


Our stay at the ashram was quite a pleasant change of pace after a month and a half traveling. We planned to stay for the two week yoga course (aka yoga vacation). Our daily decisions were all made for us, we would be aroused by a bell at 5:20, and from then on bells would guide us through the day...beginning with meditation and chanting, a two hour yoga session, brunch at 10:00, a lecture (typically on topics of yogic lifestyle, Ayurvedic medicine, Hindu religion, etc), another two hour yoga session, dinner at 6:00, another meditation and chanting session, and tucked into bed and lights out by 10:30. The next morning, you wake up and repeat the whole schedule.

During an introduction to the ashram, the head swami (or holy man) simply asked us to be open to the experiences at the ashram. As it follows the Hindu beliefs, yet welcomes people of all faiths, there is the simple expectation for you to participate in and respect the rituals even if you are not a follower of the Hindu faith. So, we joined right in with the first Satsang (meditation and chanting). I stared at the booklet in front of me and I could hardly follow along with the call and response. None of the words that were chanted seemed to match what was printed on the page. If I was told that in 10 days time the chants would be engrained in my head and I would not even need the booklet, I hardly would have believed it! The meditation was another challenge. Sitting cross-legged on the hard floor for 30 minutes was quite a challenge for my stiff body....but once again, I surprised myself after 10 days how much body and mind had strengthened in that short time. (Mind you, I am simply able to concentrate better without fidgeting...I'm still a far cry from meditating!!) However, we quickly fell into the routine at the ashram and enjoyed the simplicity of life within the walls of the grounds. We were able to forget all the stresses of travel and planning. It was an opportunity to focus on ourselves for a few weeks and re-center ourselves before continuing our travels.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Meaghan,

This by far is my favorite so far in your journey. What an awesome experience and I admire that you were able to keep to their schedule for an extended period of time. How awesome!

I suppose that is why you were not able to write until now. Your schedule probably didn't permit for much time to devote to giving updates. I was beginning to worry...but I am glad that you are o.k.!

I saw that you found Angie on facebook. Isn't facebook amazing? I am so grateful for it because without it I would loose touch with so many people. We are so fortunate to have the Internet and to be able to keep up with people that we would otherwise loose touch with.

Please keep the updates coming and enjoy your time traveling. I, too, hope that your chants of peace come true.

Oh, and please stop by my blog. I opened the new year by creating my own. Now...my stories won't be near as exciting...but I find that sometimes ordinary life can be extraordinary (at least I think mine is). :)

Love,

Tina

January 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I forgot to include the link to my blog! Oops! I am still a little flighty..:)

www.theduepners.blogspot.com

January 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Hi Meaghan & Tim ("Saint"),

I'm a friend of Tim's from days of old, and am excited to hear about these Indian adventures. I am curious how the yoga routines would differ from those typically found in the US. Keep up the posts, I love following you guys!

Nick

January 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home